Saturday, April 27, 2013

Regensburg

Waking Up

Today I would take a trip to Regensburg, Germany. I'd meet up with a longtime friend, Tim,  and his wife, Norah, and two children (Moriah and Patrick). Tim grew up across the street from me. he probably wouldn't argue if I were to say he spent as much time at my house as his own during our early years. Over the years I haven't spent much time with the family, so the few days I'd spend with them was extremely important to me. Tim's family has been living in Germany for 3 years ago, but moves back to the US in just a few days. He insisted Regensburg was a must see. The town has an incredible history of almost 2,000 years and is a classic example of a Bavarian city.

Tim and family live in Grafenwohr, I was in Munich a long ways away. Since I didn't have a car, it made the most sense for me to take an hour train ride to Regensburg and for them to pick me up from there. I hadn't been diligent about taking my allergy pill since I was on a bus the night before and did not fully unpack - so my allergies were killing me. I was coughing, wheezing, and hacking pretty bad and not feeling by best. Since I was catching a train I knew I had to be on time - so I forced myself out of bed. The first thing I did was check on the clothes I had out drying.  I had done laundry the night before and was a bit worried my clothes would not have enough time to dry. The unit had a washer, but, as is common in Europe, no dryer. Fortunately almost everything was dry. I folded the clothes, took a shower, and packed up. I had about 25 minutes to get to the station that was a 15 minute walk so I opted for a cab. I didn't know how much time I'd need at the station to get a ticket and figure out what train I'd need to board.

Awesome German train schedule app

Train Ride

I had no problem working the ticket kiosk and getting a ticket. Most people in Germany speak English, so finding the right train was effortless. The ticket did say the train left about 5 minutes earlier than the published time, so I was a bit nervous. I made it on the train with time to spare though. The train was expensive, something like 20 Euros ($26 USD) for the hour journey. The conductors and staff were pleasant and most spoke English well. Although I didn't book a first class ticket, the train was not packed and I got an entire coach compartment to myself. Traveling on this train was much, much nicer than the Turkish coach bus.


ICE Train Comparment

Club Car


Regensburg Hbf Stop 

Mall attached to train station at Regensburg

 
Meeting Up w/Tim

Tim said he'd meet me with his family at the train station at 10am, right after the train got in. On the train I got a message from Tim saying he'd be late. Once off the platform a bridge either takes you to an Arcade (indoor shopping mall) or the train station. Since the sign was in German I didn't know what it said, so I randomly ended up in a full sized shopping mall. I noticed an electronics/computer store and figured it might be a good time to get a USB memory stick to backup all my pictures to, just in case the laptop got stolen. The SLR I shoot with creates enormous files, even when not shooting in RAW, so I already have about 32 gigs from this trip alone. I found a card that was reasonably priced (around $60 for a 64 gig USB stick) and head to the coffee shop. After about a half hour I saw Tim - time to head in to town!

Greetings at the Train Station


Regensburg

Regensburg is located on the Danube River, The bridge that was originally build to cross the Danube, the Stone Bridge, still stands and is around 900 years old. The bridge is a classic example of medieval architecture. Since he knew the area best, Tim insisted on booking the hotel accommodations.

Stone Bridge

Checking In

We arrived in to town around 11am and the hotel (Sorat) had no problems with us checking in early. Everything about the hotel was great! It was literally in the middle of the Danube and next to the Stone Bridge. When we entered the hotel a wedding was taking place in the lobby. We'd continue to see photographers and wedding parties throughout the city.

 

 Sorat Hotel


Touring Town

We spent several hours walking around Regensburg. The town was largely spared during the WWII bombing, so many of the buildings are very old. The downtown area is very large, with many shops, restaurants, and bars continuing endlessly throughout winding roads. We'd also spend time eating at a couple of different brauhauses, enjoying local beer. Tim got me hooked on the turkey schnitzel - which tastes quite similar to chicken. The first brauhause we went to is one of the oldest, Spitalgarten. We sat in the outdoor beer garden while live music played. Later we'd tour the Regensburg Cathedral, the museum within, and the town in general. The town was incredible. Many of the buildings were several hundreds of years old. The roads have changed little to accommodate cars instead of horse drawn carriages.

 
Inside the cathedral 

Moirah, in back of some gold, at the museum


Outside Church

Lunchtime at Spitalgarten with Tim

Family time outside the Spitalgarten

Remains of Porta Praetoria Gate 

Dinner Brauhause
 
Night

The kids were getting restless. Since Tim's wife, Norah, hadn't slept well the night before, she returned to the hotel to retire for the night. Tim and I would explore the town. My phone was dead and I didn't want to lug around my big SLR, so I didn't grab any pictures. Since it was a Saturday night and a college town most of the places were packed. We spent considerable time at an underground bar that looked and felt like a cave. German locals chatted with us for a while and we eventually bolted for somewhere else. Around midnight we head back - we were both pretty tired and knew the kids would force us to start the next day early.

No comments:

Post a Comment