Thursday, April 11, 2013

Leaving Dubai

Waking Up

If I was to have any luck visiting the Burj Khalifa I had no time to spare today. I was up very late packing, updating the blog, and researching my next stops. I got maybe 45 minutes of sleep before waking up.

To the Burj

I arrived at the mall after parking at 7:15 - around 15 minutes early. Most of the stores had yet to open and there was no line at the Burj.  The lobby is within the mall, but there are a number of closed moving walkways that guide you to the elevator. The elevator takes about 1 minute to get you to the top. I had to clear my ears a couple of times en route.


Me, in front of the model of Burj Khalife

Me outside elevators (or lift as they say in these parts)

Burj Khalife relative to other skyscrapers 


At the Top

Unlike the Sears (not Willis) Tower, part of the observation area at the Burj Khalife is open air. The views from the top are pretty incredible. I was watching the clock pretty closely and left after about 40 minutes. Although I was quick, I didn't feel rushed. I was in the car and ready to go by 8:10, leaving me the necessary 20 minutes to get to the airport. I'd still have 2 hours to catch my flight.

Me at the top

View from the top


Finding the Rental Car Return

I arrived to the airport a bit early, so I was feeling foolishly optimistic. Finding out where to return a rental car would cost me over an hour of time. I talked to no less than half a dozen people who gave me differing instructions as to where the return area was. There are absolutely no signs indicating where to return a rental car throughout the airport. In the end, I'd discover the rental car return area within part of one of the many parking lot.

Finding Terminal 2

After returning the rental car I crossed the street to the terminal area. I went to the information counter to figure out where the gate was for my airline. I had a little less than an hour to catch the flight and was stressed. The woman at the booth told me I'd need to take a taxi to Terminal 2. The UAE has managed to build a ski slope in the middle of the desert, crappers made of solid gold, and the largest fish tank, yet they can't connect all the terminals within a single airport with a public form of transporation? The worst part was no taxi would pick me up because I was in the arrivals area, they are only allowed to pickup passengers from departures. Plus, I had no local currency. I only had US dollars. Eventually one did pick me up and we made our way to Terminal 2.

The Gate & Boarding

I knew the carrier I was traveling through, FlyDubai, was low cost carrier.  I actually prepaid for one checked bag to avoid any trouble. Since I didn't have the opportunity to return the Tripod I purchased for the overnight camping Safari I figured I'd try to bring it along. The first gate I stopped at could not check me in because I had a bag - it was an express only gate. The gate attendant did tell me she could issue me a boarding pass (exit row), but I'd need to check my luggage. While there was absolutely no problem getting the luggage through, the gate I was supposed to check my bags at was closed. Further, the adjacent gate had an enormous line of people going to a place called Kathmandu (I'd later learn Kathmandu is in Nepaul). I went to the front of the line and asked what I should do, likely irritating everyone from Kathmandu. The gate attendant was super cooperative. "Since you come late you get good service", he told me. He weighed my bags and cared very little I snuck on what could be construed as an extra carry on.  Within a couple of minutes I was off to clear security. I'd later realize the plane was a new 737-800 with an entertainment system on each chair. There were a number of free programs, although I opted to sleep for most of the flight.

Kathmandu :( 
737-800 - super new aircraft

Much more open fuselage. 



Arriving in Jordan

After arriving in Jordan I had to get a 20 JD visa (around $28 USD) and cleared customs. I met another westerner on the flight who befriended a local. His first objective was to get a SIM card for his phone, which I needed as well. After about 15 minutes I was up and running with a SIM card and 1GB. Total cost was under $20 USD. Around that time I got a message from my host, Ibrahim. He was at the airport waiting for me and ready to go. Although the airport smelled of smoke, it had just opened a month earlier. The structure was pretty impressive. Upon arrival I was a little concerned about not having an exit ticket. Regardless of where I have traveled previously I've always had an exit ticket out of the particular country I was visiting. I did this mostly just in case customs asked. In any case not having an exit ticket would not be an issue.

Queen Alia Airport (Amman Airport)

Finding a Hotel

I had thought I sent Ibrahim my flight details weeks earlier, but apparently I had not.  I had spoke to him a day earlier via instant message about when my flight arrived, but that's all the information he had to go with. Via instant message Ibrahim told me not to worry about booking a hotel - we'd take care of it when I arrived. I was very, very uncomfortable doing so. I was fine not having an exit ticket, but lodging was a different matter entirely. We head towards the city center of Amman to find a hotel. I saw an Iraq border sign en route that caught my eye. I'd also see a Syria sign shortly thereafter. The area surrounding Jordan is filled with civil unrest. Ibrahim asked what kind of hotel I wanted to stay at - how many stars. I told him something cheap that was within walking distance to city life. I looked on Kayak as we head towards a hotel he had in mind. The price on Kayak concerned me - it was over $100 USD - but there was little I could do. We got out of the car and Ibrahim did some talking - I ended up paying about half the Kayak rate. I also got a suite.

Iraq Border Sign - yikes!

Very nice room for around $40 USD

Getting Dinner

After settling in I took a quick shower and we head off to book a tour to Petra and Wadi Rum. The first tour place Ibrahim wanted to book at was booked - they could not accommodate us. The second place we went to was able accommodate us. We'd need to be at the designated pickup point at 5:30am - ouch. Ibrahim gave me a quick tour of Amman and took me to a shop that was part bookstore, part restaurant, and part internet cafe. The place was very cool with excellent views of East Amman. After I ordered my food, I noticed Ibrahim ordered the same thing. I'm uncertain if that's a coincidence or if it's normal to order the same thing as your guest.

Looking out at the Cafe

Ibrahim and I finishing our pizza
 
Returning to the Hotel

Shortly after finishing dinner we went by a market so I could pickup toothpaste and contact solution. Just like in Dubai, Jordan has Carrefour stores. Carrefour did not have contact solution - I guess such things are not normal here. I did find solution at a pharmacy though. Much like Dubai the shopping malls here are open very late - until midnight in most cases. The malls also contain multiple levels are horizontally are not very large.

Shopping Mall


Tomorrow

Ibrahim would pick me up from the hotel at 5:15am, allowing only a few hours of sleep. I was happy though that we were able to squeeze the two things I really wanted to see in Jordan (Petra and Wadi Rum) over a weekend.  

1 comment:

  1. Pizza? You are in Mensaf/Maglooba heaven, and you eat pizza?? =-) Looking forward to more Jordan pics ! I hope you and Ibrahim had a good time.

    ReplyDelete