Friday, May 10, 2013

Leaving Wernigerode

Waking Up


The drive to Berlin was 2 hours, a bit less than the 5 hours it took to get to Wernigerode from Nuremberg. The weather was looking pleasant so I was looking forward to the drive. Tobi was leaving as well, he was heading to the US for a friends wedding and vacation. We were both up early, enjoyed breakfast, and said goodbye. Around 10am I was on the road and ready to go.

iPhone Cable Issues

When I got the rental car I was surprised to see it had a USB port and natively supported my iPhone. It was definitely a nice treat, especially since I got the most economical car available. I split time between listening to the radio and my iPhone - having turn by turn instructions over the iPhone was really nice when I was in the city. Not having to worry about charging the phone was a nice plus, too. The night before I inadvertently choose to update my iPhone's software. Since the phone is globally unlocked through the provider and I've never jailbroken the phone I didn't think I had anything to worry about. Wrong. My iPhone 5 has a lightning adapter, and the charge cables have an built in authentication chip. When I started the trip I brought 2 different iPhone charge cables, one was generic and one was Apple authentic. I forgot the Apple authentic cable in Cyprus, so I was down to the generic cable. When I plugged the phone into the car an authentication error returned and the phone made a noise as if it had stopped charging. Knowing I'd need the phone for GPS, I knew I had to find a replacement cable or risk getting lost. I was in a small mountain village though. While Google Maps has been very helpful throughout Germany, Google Maps is far from perfect when categorizing places in non-English speaking countries.  Following the direction of Google Maps I found a few places that might sell the necessary cable. On the second stop I found a store much like Best Buy in the states. There was a gas (or Petrol if you're English) station in the parking lot, too. The cable worked and I was off to Berlin.

Arriving in Berlin

The drive only took a couple of hours, weather and traffic were not issues this time around. The first hour was spent getting to the autobahn on a single lane road, the last hour was on the autobahn. Since I hadn't booked lodging the plan was to head to the city center and find a coffee shop to begin the search for a place to stay. Once in the Berlin area I searched using Google Maps for a Starbucks. If you're wondering why I stick to Starbucks it's because not all coffee shops offer WiFi. I've visited about a dozen countries on this trip thus far and have only come across one Starbucks that lacked WiFi. McDonald's appears to be the other constant, but I find Starbucks much more comfortable. Finding metered parking wasn't too difficult, although it was expensive at around 2 euro an hour. Once I parked the car I started towards the Starbucks, all the while taking in the city. There were a few objects that caught my eye.

Cathedral

TV Tower
 


Unfortunately, the Starbucks I was directed to had a line of at least 20 people and little seating. I was beginning to realize I was in a very tourist driven area. The next cafe had seating and no line, but did not offer WiFi. The barista mentioned I might be able to find an open network if I sat outside so I took the gamble. It worked. I sent off some housing requests via AirBnB and within an hour had lodging. The room wasn't ready right away, so I scheduled check in later (9pm) so I could make the most of my first day in Berlin. I hadn't had the chance to read much about Berlin, so I began with some suggestions made from friends.


DDR Museum

A friend on Facebook suggested I visit the DDR Museum. Upon arrival I'd learn that DDR stands for Deutsche Demokratische Republik...not Dance Dance Revolution. Short history lesson. After World War II, Germany and it's capital (Berlin), were divided amongst the four allied forces: US, UK, France, and USSR. The USSR side, East Germany, eventually broke off into its own world and was called the DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik) or GDR (German Democratic Republic). The 3 other allied territories collectively, West Germany, became known as Federal Republic of Germany (FR or FRG). The museum was designed to educate visitors about what it was like to be in Germany during the conflict. The various exhibits are interactive, allowing visitors to open drawers, touch displays, etc.

Since I wanted to make the most of the day I did little research beforehand and went straight for the museum. There was next to no crowd control. There was little line, but once I entered the museum it was a madhouse. People were back to back and crowded around each exhibit. I also couldn't determine the order in which each exhibit went, so it's likely I saw things out of order.  That said, the museum did a very good job explaining what it was like to be an everyday German on both sides of the wall. The museum talked about how goods from the West were coveted by those on the East. It also talked how higher ranking GDR officials lived in separate villages. I'd also learn about the significance behind the Trabant's (Trabi), a very simple car made in East Germany

Trabant, or Trabi Car

Sandmannchen (sandman) would appear on TV every night to say goodnight to children

Puppets, illustrating how the GDR parliament was staged. The only dissent that ever occurred was over abortion legislation.  




 (Left): Interactive gave where visitor to DDR museum makes managerial decisions. My best results indicate I'd make an excellent communist leader.  (Right) East German prison cell. Looks very similar to many of my European lodging arrangements. 

bratwurst vendor - these guys would get me hooked on Germany's awesome $1.60 brats.
Note the backpack, it contains fuel for his grill. He is a 1 man shop.




First Glance - Checkpoint Charlie & The Wall


After finishing up at the DDR museum I decided to visit Checkpoint Charlie, an iconic former border crossing between East and West Germany. The blocks surrounding Checkpoint Charlie are filled with souvineer shops and museums. A preserved section of the wall still remains a couple of blocks from Checkpoint Charlie, the wall is part of a museum built on the grounds of the former Nazi Headquarters. I'd quickly realize I'd need to spend at least an entire day in these parts to truly grasp the history of the land during World War II and the Cold War. Most of the museums shut down around 6pm. Since it was past 4pm I figured the best I could do is walk around and make note of what looked interesting.

Checkpoint Charlie

US solider faces the East, GDR Soldier faces opposite 

Segments of the former Berlin Wall on display across the street


Checking In

After walking around Checkpoint Charlie and the surrounding blocks I realized it was time to head to the flat to check in. Two different areas within Berlin have the same address that are about 20 minutes apart. I'd make the mistake of going to the wrong one. Since I had cellular service I was able to go back and forth with the AirBnB host and quickly discover the mistake. The place rented for around $60/night plus a steep $30 cleaning fee, bringing the 3 day total to around $230 after the AirBnB fee. The location was close to public transportation - only 1 or 2 stops from the city center. Although I wouldn't get the chance to use them, the host offers two bicycles with the unit. My primary needs were: good location, washer to clean my cloths, and WiFi. Everything else was secondary, but this unit ended up working out very well.

Bathroom - note no shower curtain

(Left) Living room (Right) Kitchen w/washer

Berlin Nightlife

There was a lot I wanted to see in Berlin, so I didn't want to be out too late. That said, I still wanted to see what the nightlife was like. Since it was a Friday night I figured most places would be lively. I ended up at an outdoor Reggae waterfront bar called Yaam. It was chilly outside, but they had a nice bonfire going that created a nice atmosphere and needed heat. If you ordered a drink that was in a bottle the bar collected a 1 euro deposit. A small button is given with the beer, I imagine that deters people from profiting from the deposit scheme. I didn't stay long, maybe an hour, and wandered back to the flat.

Tomorrow

I was hoping to up early the next day, but spend a good part of the night researching what to do the next day. I set the alarm and anticipated being up at a reasonable hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment