Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A better castle

Waking Up

Since I got in late the night before, I slept until around 10-11am.  By that time I had several messages from Tobi suggesting things to do for the day. He also mentioned he left some breakfast - what a host!

Werningrode Downtown

After a quick shower I took a short drive in to town and quickly found metered parking. I had hoped to quickly find the town square, but got lost in the downtown charm. For a small town, the downtown area was enormous enormous. The streets were lined with shops, restaurants, and cafes. It was a beautiful day and many people were out to make the most of it. I passed a post office, so I made a stop to get some stamps. I also passed a chain drug store and picked up some personal care items I would need in the not to distant future. Finding contact lens solution is a challenge - most convenience stores, including this one, do not have it. Afterwards I got some lunch -  two burger patties spread across a sausage bun. The burgers were actually cooked in some sort of beer marinade that tasted okay. Although I was at an English pub, the waitress did not speak English well. The owner, however, did and was able to assist. The burger came with bacon, he insisted it be on the side. I'm glad he insisted because the bacon was fantastic. I tried unsuccessfully to get instructions as to how to board the trolly to the castle at the restaurant, so I retreated to driving.



Downtown

People enjoying the lovely weather 

Lunch

Steam train has a circular route around neighboring towns

Wermingrode Castle in the distance



Wermingrode Castle

It took a while to climb the hill, but eventually I made it to the Wermingrode Castle! The original castle was built in the 1700s, but the majority of what exists in present day was built in the 1800s during an expansion. An audio tour was available, the audio tour breaks the castle up into two sections. I'd find out quickly that photos are not to be taken.  The first rooms you enter during the first tour walk you through the chapel of a church. While walking around a man started talking to me in German, he wore no identification to indicate he worked for the castle. After it was clear I had no idea what he was saying, he asked in perfect English if I understand any German and I shook my head. He looked at me with disapproval, suggesting I should know his language. A member of another party did a good job explaining what I was doing wrong and I put away the camera. He would later explain to me, in English, that the problem was not with the castle property itself, rather with the exhibits. Some of them are on loan under the various agreements, some of which bar photography. I found it odd he could explain these nuances to me perfectly in English, yet couldn't tell me in simple English photography was not allowed. To date this would be my favorite castle I've seen.

The first tour was very quick, maybe 45 minutes. It toured visitors through the church and the entertaining, dining, living, and study quarters of the castle. The castle was well decorated, with many furnishing dating back to the time the castle was built.  The dining room was enormous and absoultey gorgeous. The table was setup complete with table settings.


Exterior of castle

Church inside the castle

Me, outside the gardens

Church when viewed from the gardens

Dinner

After finishing up at the castle around 5:30 I head back to Tobi's apartment. Tobi arrived an hour or so later and we left to run some errands and get dinner. Tomorrow was Ascension Day, a religious federal holiday throughout Germany. The Germans also refer to it as Father's Day or Men's Day - although it's nothing like Father's Day in the states. As I'm told, the day is intended to allow men, including fathers, to have the opportunity to do whatever they want. For most of the town this meant getting up early, leaving the woman and children at home, and hiking in the mountains. We were to meet a group of Tobi's acquaintances at the train station at 9:30am. During the hike we were to barbeque, so we needed to pickup a few things from the supermarket first. 

It was interesting shopping around the supermarket. The first thing I noticed, aside from the lack of English, was that sporting goods and cycling supplies are everywhere. The cycling accessory selection at this supermarket was more expansive than some sporting goods places back home.  Fitness and outdoor stores are much more common in these parts.

One of the key items (aside from beer and sausage) was a disposable grill. I had heard of these sorts of things but had never used or seen one. Basically, the disposable grill is a simple aluminum shell with charcoal. The disposable grills are designed to be environmentally friendly. The charcoal can be buried and the aluminum easily compresses for recycling. Kinda a genius idea. The first shop we went to was sold out, so we went to another. Along the way I was searching for contact lens solution. The second shop had grills, but no lens solution. After the third stop we had everything we needed and were off to dinner.

We went to a local restaurant for dinner and had a few drinks and some schnitzel. Since we had to be up early the next day we turned in early.

Cycling supplies at a grocery store span half an aisle!



Tomorrow

Tomorrow would be an early day - we'd need to be up by 8 or so to allow time to pack and walk to the train station.  Tobi's friend had invited him along, but his friend was ill so he would not be joining the group. Tobi mentioned he had met some of the guys before and one or two might speak English. Originally I had only planned on spending one night in Wernigerode, but I opted to stay for the Ascension Day festivities since it would both allow me to spend more time with Tobi and experience a local tradition foreign to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment