Monday, May 13, 2013

Leaving Germany

Waking Up

Checkout was scheduled at 10am and the host was at the unit with the new tenants sharply at 10am. The new tenants were simply dropping off their bags. I was nearly finished packing and took some final moments to assemble my things. My first stop was to the Alexanderplatz train station, where I read storage lockers were available. I could ditch my bags at the train station for a few euro, allowing me to make the most of the day.  The train at the station would also connect me to the airport, so it was a double win.  After ditching the bags I stopped for coffee and booked one of the few remaining times to visit the Fernsehturm Stuttgart, a radio tower that is Germany's tallest structure.

Neues Museum

After dropping the bags at the train station I head back over to museum island. I was hoping to see  the Neues Museum, but since a pass to explore all museums on the island isn't much extra I figured I'd also visit the National Gallery. This time around I remembered to bring my student id. Admission is half price so it's a pretty big deal. Unfortunately, the National Gallery was closed so I'd just be visiting the Neues Museum as originally planned.  Browsing the museum complimented what I saw in Egypt and Turkey. When I saw the Egyptian-Hittite Peace Treaty cuneiform I had to do a double take. I thought the museum in Turkey had the only discovered cuneiform. I suspect the claim made by the museum in Turkey is that they have the only complete cuneiform. I'm guessing it's probable the one in Germany is missing a line or two.  The second exhibition I entered was about Cyprus. The museum had a lot of exhibits taken from the Pathos region. Pathos is the region I visited my last day on the island. The centerpiece of the museum is the bust of Nefertiti. On the main level there are several different exhibits that display how the bust has been used throughout popular culture. The museum also has an extensive collection of sarcophagus throughout the grounds. 

Golden Hat,  Sarcophagus

Colorful Art


Nefertiti in Pop Culture

Egyptian-Hittite Peace Treaty, again

Neferetiti Bust (not my photo), Egyptian tomb wall (my photo)




Berlin Cathedral

Before visiting the Fernsehturm Stuggart I wandered over to the cathedral. It's in the general vicinity of the Fernsehturm Stuggart.  The religion affiliated with the cathedral is Lutheran, not Catholic. There was a cover charge to tour the interior. Since there wasn't much time prior to my timed entrance to the Fernsehturm Stuggart, I opted to simply walk around and view the cathedral from the outside. The detailed architecture was stunning. It was a beatiful day and there were several people in the nearby park enjoying the day or playing with their animals. I laid down for a few minutes and dozed off for a few minutes, although it seemed like an eternity. When I woke up I had a reasonable 20 minutes to get to the  Fernsehturm Stuggart.



Fernsehturm Stuttgart

The Fernsehturm Stuggart is a television tower built in the 1960s, before the Seattle Space Needle. The tower is the largest of its kind in the world. Atop the tower is a restaurant and an observation tower. The only available pass was for purchase was a VIP express pass. It was about $5 more and entitled the purchaser to bypass lines. At first I figured the VIP privileges were a scam. When I arrived and saw the enormous queue I quickly realized it was not. There was almost no one in the VIP line. Additionally, the VIP line had a cafe and tables to enjoy the wait. There are only two elevators that carry people to the top. Although they move quick, it takes an enormous amount of time to move people through the line. The VIP pass allows purchasers to bypass the line both going up and coming back down. The line coming down would be equally miserable. All in all, the VIP privileges were worth every penny. Especially since it enabled me to maximize sightseeing on my last day. The 360 degree views from the enclosed tower are impressive. Placards line the windows explaining what can be viewed in the distance.



Me, at the top


Olympiastadion

Before heading to the airport I wanted to take in the Olympic grounds created for the <<1930>> Olympiad. The games were significant because they took place prior to World War II, during Hitler's regime. They were used as a propaganda tool by the Nazi party. Oddly, the games to be hosted four years later were given to the other Axis power, Japan. In fairness to the Olympic Committee, Berlin had been awarded the games before Hitler took power. The Olympic Committee did have some concerns about antisemitism, but after a visit to the grounds the Nazi party convinced the Olympic Committee all was okay. Several countries protested, but little was done. Mentions of Hitler and other key Nazi officials were removed from the placards throughout the grounds. The Olympic grounds were incredible. The stone and architecture used throughout the stadium is absolutely beautiful. The two Olympic grounds are completely different from one another. The Munich grounds attempted to be more modern, whereas the Berlin grounds was more classical. Germany does an incredible job creating structures for the games - it's a shame both ended up being a disgrace.

Entrance to Park

  
Olympic Stadium



To the Airport
I picked up a value ticket through an ultra-low cost provider called Ryanair. Most people who have traveled around or lived in Europe know of Ryanair because Ryanair offers low fairs to many European companies and the airline charges for just about anything you can imagine. Until the fee was declared illegal, Ryanair actually charged up to 40 euro ($52) to check in at the airport. The CEO is a real piece of work - his response was to call the woman who complained 'stupid'. He's not going anywhere though, he is responsible for building the airline into the successful carrier it is after studying the Southwest business model. Ryanair still charges to check in at the airport, although now it's simply 7 euro. Disappointingly, other low cost carriers in Europe have started to follow though.
Ryanair is notoriously restrictive on their baggage allowance.  A 10 kilo limit exists on carry on, as do weight restrictions on checked bags. At 60 euro, the penalty is extremely high if your luggage does not fit criteria at the gate. My bag was a bit over 10 kilos, so I was worried. The jacket I brought has an enormous number of pockets and is intended to carry everything from an ipod to an 11' macbook pro - so I had a contingency plan. The big problem was the two bags I normally clip to my backpack. One contains my shoes, the other bag contains liquids. Since most airlines allow one full size carry on and a personal item, the shoes and liquid bag together look like a personal item and the backpack works as my one full sized bag. I was pretty certain the shoe and liquids bag would get called out. I prepared by wrapping my coat around the two bags, but I was pretty certain it wouldn't work. I was lucky though, the gate operators weren't as stringent as they could have been. I got through.  All in all, this time around I got lucky. The gate attendants were pretty easygoing and friendly.
The airport felt more like a bus depot than anything, and a dumpy one at that. The only available  seats for people waiting for the flight lined the walls. The hallways were very narrow and the ceilings felt low. I correctly guessed the airport was a product of East Germany dating back to the cold car. The airport was the only one that served East Germany during the cold war.

Berlin Schönefeld Airport


Arriving in Dublin

Since I planned to travel around Ireland, I reserved a low cost rental car. Picking up the car was no problem. Since I got in late, close to midnight, everything was closed and getting a SIM card was not possible. After I picked up the car I quickly realized I was back to driving on the opposite side of the road I was used to, just like in Cyprus. I had downloaded GPS maps and plotted the location of the hotel, so I didn't expect to have a problem finding it. After 3 or 4 times around the block and 30 minutes, I found the hotel. The hotel was in the heart of Dublin. The hotel was right off Grafton Street (shopping street) and a short walk from Temple Bar. The front desk clerk was very, very helpful. He also helped me move the car to somewhere I could park legally. Street parking in Dublin is expensive - 3 euro an hour. The room I was given was off the main street, but since it wasn't a weekend noise wasn't a problem. The hotel was a steal at under $80/night (breakfast inclusive!), almost a a third of what other hotels in the immediate area wanted.

Dublin Airport


Ryanair!


Checking In

All in all, I was quite pleased with the hotel. The hotel was right in the heart of Dublin. Right near the upscale Grafton Street shopping district and a short walk from Temple Bar. After checking in I explored the Temple Bar area.  It was 2am, but the area still had a fairly strong crowd. As I walked down the main road I picked up the smell of grease. Ordinarily this smell would be disgusting, but since I hadn't eaten I started to crave a hamburger and went in for some food. I was not disappointed.  The first bar I went to was closing, but the bouncer redirected me to another place. I did follow his suggestion, but the bar wasn't very busy. I had a drink and left for some much needed sleep.

Exterior of hotel - why it was hard to find
 
Nice big bed!
 
  
Recently updated bathroom

Tomorrow

Although I got to bed late, I wanted to be up fairly early. I only planned on staying in Dublin for a couple of nights so I had a lot to see. Tomorrow I wanted to tour Saint James Gate, home of Guinness, and explore the architecture more.

No comments:

Post a Comment