Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lamai

Waking Up

Today would be my last night in the busy town of Chawang. My next destination would be the town of Lamai. Lamai was about 10km further south, still on the east end of the island. It's the second big beach on the island.  I got up in time for breakfast and requested a late check out for 1pm. Breakfast was simple, cereal and juice was pretty much all that was offered. 

Starting off slow

Since I had a 1pm check out, I figured I'd spend a couple of hours by the beach. In order to access to the beach one has to often cross through a hotel or restaurant.  From what I'm told, beaches are public and the hotel or restaurants can not deny access to the beach. Across the street was an upscale resort called the Banana Fan Sea. I'd make use of their beach and pool. All the chairs were taken so I made use of my highly recommended beach travel towel. Considering I had an open wound, I foolishly made my way into the water and quickly dried off into the sun. Afterwards I made my way to the pool and was able to find a nice chair lounge chair and read.

To Lamai

After a short while at the Banana Fan Sea pool I decided it was time to scoot over to the Lamai. I and packed my bags earlier so I was ready to go. Only one problem, I couldn't find the key to the scooter. I unpacked everything, still no key. I wondered, did I leave it in the room (at the same hotel) the night prior? I checked at the front desk and with some broken English and hand gestures the key was found. Crisis averted.

All together, I've got 2 bags. One small backpack and another 22" carry on, the two actually combine together into one bag if needed. Eagle Creek makes the bags and they have a system consisting of smaller containers that are fabulous. Prior to Thailand I hadn't used the backpack feature on the larger carry on. However, on the island it's been very helpful. The big bag goes on my pack, the smaller by my legs, and on a little scooter I can get anywhere I need to go. It's quite impressive.  After an hour or so of driving around I was at the hotel, the Samui Beach Resort. I originally was directed to the wrong hotel, but found it on the second try. The resort was on the beach, had a beachside restaurant and pool, and was well reviewed. All for under $50 a night.



The resort is long and narrow. One end is off the road, where reception is located. The other end is the beach, where the pool, restaurant, and other resort facilities are located. Off the pool is a newly completed building that offers ocean view, poolside, rooms. In between the two ends are an assortment of bungalows and a two story apartment-like building. I'd be in the apartment-like building.

After checking I made my way to the restaurant and had some shrimp and what they call a lemon shake. A lemon shake is more of a lemon slush, it's two bucks and tasty and has become my island drink.

Afterwards I made my way in the pool. A man who spoke British approached me and asked if I spoke English. He saw the bandages and told me I really should stay out of the pool. He mentioned how easy it was for infection to set in here in the tropics. He suggested I visit a pharmacy and get on an oral antibiotic immediately. He said the pharmacist will know exactly what I need, just show them the wound. He was actually the hotel manager, John, and was very friendly. He came to Samui a couple of decades ago while backpacking and decided years back to just move out here for good. He doesn't own the hotel, he just manages it and lives on site. He's around the resort a lot, and is very friendly.

I took his advice, reached out to a couple of friends in the medical field, and got some advice (thanks Hardy!). Off to the pharmacy I went. Unlike the states, oral anti-biotics do not require a prescription, so I was able to get what I needed without hassle. While the pharmacists out here aren't as well trained as in the States, you do actually interact with the pharmacist. That's the only person working behind the counter. I'm not sure which system is better.



False alarm, this is not where I'd be staying

That's more like it!

Outside of my unit - I'm on the ground w/patio


Basic room, this one was much larger than the rest


Me updating the blog at the restaurant


Searching for Sunset

After picking up the antibiotic I made my way to the west end of the island for the sunset. I made my way to a beach first and took some photos. The beach was littered with garbage.

Afterwards I stopped at the international ferry port, which was surrounded by fisherman. Upon entrance to the port one of the guards made a hand gesture towards my wound and said 'motorbike'. I guess this sort of thing is common out here.

After sunset I head back to town. The route back to town involved passing through several streets. The feel was much more rural. Lots of families were in their homes, with doors wide open, enjoying the night. It was interesting driving by and seeing what everyone was up to and how the people lived their lives.






Nighttime

After visiting the ferry I made my way back to town. I picked up some fuel served from used whiskey bottles (the norm here) and stopped by a video rental store. What was interesting about the rental store is that they rented VCDs! VCD is a format that spread throughout this part of the world years prior to DVD. It was possible to get titles on VCD that were not available on DVD back when DVD was released. Back in the day one could make a good living importing legal, licensed, VCDs to the States and reselling them.  This shop mostly sold pirated stuff and it was possible to find stuff still at the theater.

VCDs for sale

Borat for rent...on VCD


Gasoline in a whiskey bottle


After visiting the video shop and getting fuel I ran by the city center. The town was alive! There were several windy roads with hundreds of shops scattered around them. I got myself some dinner at a Thai BBQ place and got another massage. This time around the lady insisted on cleaning my feet and giving me a pedicure, a first ever for me. She must have sanded away at my feet for an hour, and another hour with the massage. She really did a great job straightening out my neck. Not a bad way to spend $15 between the two. My head was down most of the time so I assumed two people were working on me, one on the pedicure the other on the massage. So I tipped the one who did the massage and asked where the other was. Apparently the one woman does multiple things at once. So I tipped her twice. The TripAdvisor write up on tipping in Thailand suggested simply rounding, but I've adopted my own policy. If tipping is considered non-offensive in the country I'm in and there's a large disparity between the cost of service (US vs wherever) I'll just tip as I normally would. These people work hard and I'm getting a deal. If they're friendly and do a good service, they can do more with the $3 than I can. Oddly, I still aggressively haggle whenever possible for physical goods.

After dinner and the massage I crossed a very lively irish pub with live music. The band was definitely Thai, but they were covering western pop music. I stopped by, had a Guinness, and enjoyed the crowd. It took me a while to get my Guinness. For a few minutes I actually thought the bartender forgot about me, but I had seen her start the pour before moving on to another customer. It than occurred to me this place did the proper Guinness pour. I had practiced this pack at St. James Gate in Dublin, where Guinness is made. Outside of Ireland I hadn't seen it done so well. Crazy. I didn't want to be out too late and left while the party was still going.

After leaving the bar it took me a while to find the restaurant I parked the bike near. By this time it was 1am and everything was closed and dark.

Thai rock band

It's as good as it looks


Thai McDonalds

Respecting the Ronald




No comments:

Post a Comment