Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hello Bangkok!

Waking Up

I went to sleep the night before absolutely exhausted, right when I hit the bed I was asleep. The next morning I would sleep much better and wake up to an alarm. Not a blaring loud alarm though, a vibrating wrist. Tangent:  For my last adventure I picked up one of those activity trackers thinking a silent alarm would be useful. Instead of noise, it vibrates your wrist to wake you up. Every once in a while it flakes on me, but for the most part it's useful and a better way of waking up.

The day started with breakfast, much like the day before. I followed Mike in to the office and took a taxi to check in for my flight.

Checking In

Of the 100 or more airports I've used, Hong Kong's airport has got to be the very best. The airport and airlines have an off-site facility in the central business district of Hong Kong were you can check in, including your luggage. This is the same area where the airport express train runs and takes 24 minutes to whisk you to the airport.  Incredibly genius and convenient.

After checking in for my flight I still had some sightseeing left to do. The weather was worse than the day before and it was poring rain. The nice thing is many buildings loan umbrellas. They take collateral, like an id or credit card number, to ensure it's returned.


Sure looks like an airport, but it's not
It's the airports offsite facility where you can check in and your bags




Wong Tai Sin Temple

The Wong Tai Sin Temple is one of the most famous temples in Hong Kong. Getting to the temple was pretty easy, navigating through the storm of umbrellas once off the train was another story.  Here's a bit of trivia - this particular temple is the only one in Hong Kong where wedding are held.

Entrance to the temple

Outside Temple

Temple

Shops within the temple

Poster for Chinese New Year


The Tailor & Lunch

A couple of friends picked up some custom suits while in Thailand, so I figured I should do the same. Mike mentioned he had a guy that did his suits and suggested I visit him around lunchtime for measurements. The shop is in an area not far from the metro and is a simple open space with rolls of fabrics lining all the walls. The rolls were of the actual fabric that would be used for the clothes they sell, they were not just fabric samples. Upon arrival we'd learn that the tailer passed away just a week or so earlier - sad. The same manager is running the shop and the son is stepping up to take over the business.

In record time I was measured up. The suits and custom shirts would be ready when I return to Hong Kong en route back to Chicago. Off to lunch.

(1) best pork ever (2) Mike and me before my flight


Flight to Bangkok

After lunch I took a taxi to the airport express train. The cab driver spoke little to no English, so it was interesting communicating with him.

Arriving in Bangkok

The flight was only a couple of hours and clearing customs was relatively easy. Unlike Hong Kong, Thailand does issue a passport stamp upon arrival.

After inquiring about a cab (500 baht or around $15 USD), I decided to give public transportation a try. There are two main lines throughout Bangkok, the BTS and the MTR. The MTR ran right by the hotel I found. The BTS (also called the sky train, although both lines are elevated) connects to the Airport. Somewhere between I'd need to connect. Google map's was useful only as a moving map, the routes it suggested were completely wrong. Further, the transit stops are only described (in Google Maps) using the Thai alphabet even though both English and Thai names were provided at each physical station and on other maps. Once I figured out which direction each train line went I pieced together a plan.



Bangkok Terminal


Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

Bangkok

An Australian started chatting with me on the train. He mentioned he was leaving family in Delhi (India) and was en route back home to Australia. He had about 16 hours and wanted to check out the social scene. We chatted about Indian politics for a while and Rahul Ghandi (no relation to Mahatma). He invited me to come along, but had my bags and wanted to get to the hotel before going out. Eventually the train from the airport would end. I checked Google Maps and made it to the hotel without much effort. En route I'd realize the enormous demonstrators throughout the city.




The Manhattan
Lowest cost hotel (of reasonable quality) in a relatively great area

Pretty nice room and location for $50/night



Early Night

After checking in a walked around the outside of the hotel a bit. I noticed a train line ran immediately over the street in front of the hotel. My hotel was also across the street from several other more upscale hotels (Westin) so the location seemed ideal. I returned back to the hotel and by 11pm was asleep. I only planned on being in Bangkok for 2 days and I had a lot to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment