Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pyramids, Sphinx, and Cattle

Waking Up

Having not slept well, I was running a little late when the call from reception came in that Osama was downstairs. Osama was a bit early, but he was patient with me as I brought down my luggage. I was to check out of Giza today and would spend the night in a sleeper car en route to Ashwan. Ashwan is about a 14 hour train ride away from Cairo. Osama was a true gentleman, insisting I have breakfast before we start. We went to the hotel buffet which was not very appetizing. I got some cereal, milk, a croissant, and juice. After about 5 minutes I was ready to roll. The driver would remain with us the entire day – so my bags would be kept in the trunk of the car.


Osama and me

Streets of Giza and Cairo


Giza Pyramids

Our first stop would be the Giza Pyramids. The day would begin with a Camel Ride and than, if I wanted, I could pay the entry fee to enter two of the pyramids. Knowing I might not ever return and not knowing what I was in for, I opted to enter both.

Camel Ride

Much like the Mayan ruins in Mexico, the pyramids in Egypt are surrounded by aggressive merchants. Osama had a camel already worked out and the man who took me around the area was extremely courteous. Around the time we got to the Pyramids we encountered a wind and sandstorm. It was nothing sort of ridiculous. Sand was everywhere. I was lucky I remembered my sunglasses, because they kept the sand out of my eyes. The day before I left I impulse purchased this case to protect my SLR camera -  am I ever glad I did. The camel handler was remarkably friendly and spoke perfect English. He asked to take some pictures using my camera – and he ended up being very good with it. Not knowing how the tipping system worked, I offered him a 10 Euro bill when we were away from Osama. He politely asked me to give it to him around Osama. He didn’t want any trouble, he tells me. I asked if Osama got a cut and he said no, he just wanted Osama to know I tipped him. Fair enough. The camel’s name was Pepsi and was owned by his father. We chat for a while and he has me do every tourist pose you can imagine.  The camel handler was absolutely awesome.

Pepsi, me, and the camel handler

Grabbing the top of the pyramid



Entering the Pyramids

Looking up into the Pyramid from inside


We would start with the biggest of the pyramids. Guides are not allowed in the Pyramids so tourists have to go it alone.  If you are the least bit claustrophobic the pyramids are not for you. Climbing on my knees I could hardly make it up ramp/makeshift stairway.  Surrounding you is limestone, so if you hit your head it’s bound to leave a mark.  Traffic goes in and out through the same entrance – a design chosen thousands of years ago by the designer. One Pyramid would have two entrances, but that was off limits. After about 10 minutes of climbing I made my way to the chamber where the pharaoh was found mummified. I was neat. I’d see a group of tourists posing for pictures taken by an Egyptian. One of the kids looked high school aged and was wearing an Abercrombie shirt so I imagined he was from the states.  Pictures were off limits in the tombs, but staff is only on the outside of the Pyramid so no one really knows what’s going on inside.  I was about to ask the kid if he could take my photo and the Egyptian got aggressive saying he would do it.  I knew I was bated at this point. The man took so poor pictures of me and using my iPhone and I gave him 5 euros – the smallest amount of money I had. D’oh. I realize now entering both pyramids was overkill. But I didn't want to have regrets.

Measuring up the pyramids

Sphinx

Next we would head to the Sphinx. The sphinx is actually a man attached to a Lion’s body, Osama would tell me. I gotta give Osama credit. He’s 30, has done this tour hundreds of times since he was in his teens, and still has enthusiasm in everything he does. I could hear the excitement and energy in his voice as he explained the story behind all the ruins. Much like the Camel handler, Osama suggests I pose with his Pyramids and relics in all sorts of tourist like ways. 

Dressing up the Sphinx


Papyrus & Perfume Shop

Part of the tour involved stopping by a Papyrus and Perfume shop.

The perfume shop was first. They sit you down and bring out a bunch of scents for you to sample. You’re told the French take the essential oils from Egypt, mix a small amount with alcohol and sell them as designer fragrances. Before bringing out the scents, they insist you have a drink. I’m told this is traditional Egyptian hospitality. After a tasty bottle of Pepsi, I start the scent smelling. All were pretty good and would make nice gifts for family back home. I inquire about shipping and am floored. The shop wanted $70 USD to ship a box back home.  I didn’t want to waste the salespersons time, so I let him know I couldn’t purchase anything. “Why don’t you carry it on back home”. Well, for one the bottles are in excess of 100ml, so carry on is not an option. But most importantly, I’m not going back home after Egypt. Surprisingly, the staff is amazingly cool. No big deal I’m told.

We arrived at the Papyrus shop next. Osama warned me that most Papyrus sold is actually fake and made in China. He tells me real papyrus will hold color and writing forever. The demonstration at the shop is pretty neat. A man cuts up a Papyrus leaf and flattens it creating one fo the strands of a  Papyrus paper.  We chat for a bit and I walk around to see what they are selling. I take interest in a Papyrus notebook. I’ve got a brother who loves to write and a nephew who loves to draw.  The cost though was $60 USD. Factoring in shipping costs, it would be well over $100 a notebook. Sorry guys , no Papyrus for you.

Egyptian Museum of Antiquities

Me in front of Museum


Next stop was the Egyptian museum in Cairo, home of thousands of artifacts. Osama tells me Photos are not allowed inside and that I’d have to check my camera. I was a bit nervous but he insists it’s okay. I get a check slip and in we go. Guides are allowed throughout most of the museum, but some exhibits they are not allowed to enter. Osama tells me that’s basically for crowd control. Large groups would try to monopolize displays resulting in fights. Most of the time though Osama was right by my side – which was great because he knew everything about the exhibits. The museum has so much on display. Inside you can see the contents of the Pyramids. I don't think I've ever seen so much gold in my life. Even outside the museum is incredible. There are tons of artifacts just scattered outside the museum. Parts of tombs, ca

OKhan El Khalili Bazaars

Bustling streets of El Khalili Bazaars

Meat market at the Bazaar


Painter outside the Bazaars

I think this is Sharm (beef)

Outside the museum, feeding the man-lion. Osama really liked to have fun with the camera!



After a couple of hours in the Museum Osama suggested he had to the Felucca sailing ride up the Nile I opted for.  At this point I was exhausted and wanted food – Osama suggests we can move the Felluca ride to the end of the trip. We grab some food at a restaurant. I have beef not different than what I would get as a kid in a Gyro. I offer to buy for Osama and he insists no. I insist, because I don’t want to eat alone. He fights a bit, but in the end I win. For about $8 USD we both get the meet, a drink, and French fries. The fries were my idea and were tasty. We take 2 seats of an already occupied table and chat a bit. The market had an upstairs, but people sat wherever they choose. Osama was born in Saudia Arabia, Riyadh specifically, although his mother and father are originally Egyptian. He’s close to my age at 30 and is married with a 4 year old daughter. He tells me he is glad his dad brought everyone back to Egypt. I tell him I expected the restaurant to be divided – families in one area, single men in another. He laughs, he tells me nothing like that exists in Egypt. Egypt is the most moderate of the Arab nations in the region he says.  We chat more and he tells me people do whatever they want in Egypt. We continue chatting as we walk through he markets.  We talk about what the Egyptian schools, his wants for his daughter and family, his goals, etc.  After a couple of hours of chatting and walking around he return to the car to head to the train station. I was completely exhausted, but Osama was not the least bit tired. When people come to Chicago and ask me what to do I like to setup an itinerary of my favorite things for them to do. This is essentially what Osama had done for me. He appeared to enjoy every single minute of each phase. I mention how exhausted I was and he tells me he wanted me to see it all – he’d have it no other way. I now am aware of how much I can exhaust others J

All Aboard!
 


As we wait for the train we continue to talk. At this point the SIM card in my phone was still not working. Osama sends off the driver to the retail store to activate the card – apparently non Egyptians can not do so. We continue to chat and activate the phone before boarding the train. I’m not able to select a service plan, but it’s pre-paid and the most they do is throttle your data speeds…so I’m happy.



Hallway in the sleeper car


The seat drops down to create a bed, the panel above the seat also drops down to create an addition bunk style bed. The sleeper was rather comfortable if not for the constant smoking of nearby passengers.


Overnight Train

Sleeper Car

I was excited about the overnight train. Although I desperately wanted to shower, I wanted to rest even more. Since I paid a single supplement for the tour everything was private – so I had my own sleeper car. The sleeper car was pretty nice. What wasn’t nice was the constant smoking by the surrounding cars. My throat started to really bother me in Cairo and the night surrounded by constant smoking was not helping. Each train car has about 9 sleeper cars with a door that closes and locks. A servant is assigned to each car and our car would be served by a man named Tamer. Tamer is the personification of class. He brought me dinner and breakfast and checked in front time to time. Had it not been for the incessant smoking, the sleeper car would have been absolutely perfect.


1 comment: