Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Thursday to relax...or not


Local Cafe - Thursday, 9am-ish

After spending an entire day touring Jerusalem and Bethlehem the day before, I wanted to have a relaxing day on my own. Today would be it. I had a long checklist of things to do, so I head to the coffee shop attached to the building next to my apartment with my laptop. First priority was to update my blog (Wednesday's entry) and recap the previous day. Next step was to plan Friday. Friday was expected to be in the 90s, so a trip to the Dead Sea sound like fun. I booked a tour through Bein Harim tours - the place suggested by Ron Perry (my Jerusalem tour guide and new BFF). Around $90 all in after an online coupon, not bad. I also had to mail off some stuff back home since I have no room to carry stuff with me. I figured the trip to the post office via bike could be a mini tour of the greater Tel Aviv area. It took a while, but I eventually found a local post office and the hours online. I'm set!

Beginning the day at the local Cafe


Coffee Shop


A friend stopped by and took a long nap next to me (left)
My iced mocha - YUM (right)


Off to the Post Office

After finding the local post office I picked up a Tel-O-Bike (community rental bike) and head to the post office. I detoured a bit, riding around aimlessly. Since it was daylight and I made a quick cruise through the seedy area by the bus station.

A little on the rough side



Post Office

I was hoping the post office would sell supplies, much like they do in the states. Much to my chagrin, they did not. It was time to be resourceful. At the shop next door (below), I saw a man taking out trash and boxes. I politely asked if I could have one and he smiled and said 'of course'. The man would become my savior! After finding the right sized box, I went into the shop to see if I could purchase tape. The man, Sookie, disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a roll of tape and sealed up the box for me. Sookie spoke decent english, so I asked how much I owed him. He gave me a bit of an off look and than smiled, laughed and said 'nothing'! I thanked him, we spoke for a bit, and I left once a customer came to the register. What a great guy.

 

Small market run by the awesome Sookie

Dizengoff Center

The post office was located next to a big mall named Dizengoff Center. From the outside it appeared an Apple store was within, so in I ventured.

Everyone going in to the mall is searched with a metal detector. All bags are examined. 
Israeli's accept this as a way of life. 



 
A trip to the toy shop yields nothing original in the world of Legos for my Nephew Quinn :( 

iDigital? WTF?

It looks just like a Genius bar at an Apple store!


Apparently Apple does not have a store in Israel, instead they have a partner called iDigital. Take a look at this iDigital store, located elsewhere, to see how far they go to recreate the Apple experience.

Leaving Dizengoff Center

After leaving Dizengoff, I received a call on my cell phone. When a call comes in, it's free, but only one person has called me to date - Raviv, my host/landlord. Raviv called to ask if I left the cooking gas on. Thinking back to when I left, I did notice what I thought to be a noxious odor...but it did not appear to be what I thought was cooking gas. I figured it was just some ethnic food I wasn't familiar with. Raviv asked if he could go in the unit and investigate - I said of course. About an hour later Raviv called and said somehow the cooking gas was on. I'm guessing maybe my bag hit the knob on the way out. He opened the windows and said not to worry. Since natural gas is completely odorless, I guess the additive they use to create the odor in Israel is completely different than back in the states.  I apologized to Raviv for nearly blowing up his unit, but he just laughed it off. "Chris, there's no way you could have blown up my unit...if you ignited the burner it would have made a little 'poof', no big deal". I'm wasn't about to argue with him, but I don't think he's right.
Carmel Market

After cycling up and down the oceanfront, I walked around Carmel Market to see what all the excitement was about. The place was amazing. Very busy with merchants selling just about everything...flowers, fruit, clothing, etc. It was crazy busy - people were elbow to elbow and the market covered several street blocks. Carmel Market is a very short walk from my apartment. I also stopped here at the end of the night to pick up some fruit for my apartment. I still had some pesos from a pervious trip in my moneyclip which the merchant saw. In broken English, he asked about the currency. I told him Mexico and he got very excited, so I gave it to him.

Gummies!

Busy streets

Bakery

 Grocery

Old Jaffa

Old Jaffa


Next up was a trip to Old Jaffa. An old walled neighborhood build in the 1500's just south of my apartment. Here again I was entirely blown away by what I would discover. From the outside it looks like an old building or a complex of structures, which it is. From the inside though there are a series of streets and buildings - an entire town. I began exploring without a definitive plan - just climbing up random staircases not knowing where I was going. I started from the area by the sea.  The whole experience was amazing. It reminded me of the Harry Potter park at Universal Studios - except genuine. Judging by the number of weddings I saw, this place appears to be a very popular destination for wedding photography.

Stairs up to the main level

Main level - Haffa Clock Tower

A random street in Jaffa

Tel Aviv from Jaffa


After spending a few hours in Old Jaffa I returned home and fell asleep. I'd have to be up early the next day and knew a good nights rest was critical.
 
Tomorrow

The big Tel Aviv marathon was scheduled tomorrow. Although it was cancelled because of the heat, a 10k is still taking place throughout the city. Most of the main roads are shut down. I figured a visit to the Dead Sea is a must. Aside from being the lowest point on earth not covered by water,  it is stated one can not sink in the Dead Sea. Plus the water if full of mystical minerals that cure everything from arthritis to psoriasis. Researching, I found a combo-tour of Masada and the Dead Sea. Great considering the weather is supposed to be in the 90s! Pickup for the tour is scheduled for 6am!

1 comment:

  1. really amazing. you are making some wonderful memories

    ReplyDelete