Friday, October 31, 2014

Hello China!

Arriving at PEK

The original arrival time to Beijing was scheduled to be around 4pm. With the delays we landed around 6-7pm. When I cleared customs it was closer to 8pm. As I walked downstairs I noticed the flight attendants holding the masses of people in economy back while they let the people in first and business class deplane first. I imagine this is important on an international flights since the customs and immigration lines can get long.

As I left the plane I noticed the outside air pollution and than a grand entryway. From what I've read, the Beijing airport has gone under refurbishment around the time of the olympics.  I did some fruitless searching of the United airport lounge but after about 10 minutes gave up and head for the city, more specifically the Hongdu Shijia Hotel, or as it was once called the Saga Youth Hostel.

PEK Airport - not bad!




An airport express train connects the airport to the Beijing subway system. When I applied for a visa I made arrangements at a hostel in Beijing off one of the subway lines.  There's an Airport Express bus and train, and I almost ended up on the bus. After a short while I found the train and was en route to the city. The train takes about 20 minutes to travel a little less than 20 miles. The airport express train was comfortable, although the seats were small for someone my size.  The subway trains were modern. Similar to the subway system in Germany, all the cars connect like a giant snake. As I waited for the subway I noticed a few British guys dressed in costume. It took me a second to remember it was halloween. 

Me on the Airport Express, the Beijing Subway

After about an hour on the Airport Express and Subway I finally reached the stop nearest the hostel. I passed through some hutongs (alleys) and watched in on the everyday life of people in Beijing. Although I was walking through the alleys at night, many dark, it didn't feel unsafe. Both bicycles and motorbikes would jet past me as I walked down the streets. The motorbikes were electric, so they were almost silent. It was a bit unnerving to have a silent electric bike pass from behind, but eventually I got used to it. For reasons I can’t quite explain, the street life felt distinctly different from what I’ve seen in the past. Eventually, with the help of Google maps, I found the hostel. Oh, t-Mobile, how I’ve come to rely on your free international data.

Arriving at the Saga Youth Hostel - Hongdu Shijia Hotel

As I entered the hostel from the hutong, I saw a  western girls dressed as a cat…I suspect and hope for halloween. Halloween didn't appear popular at all. I checked in to the hostel, requested a room change to a private single, and cleaned up. After cleaning up I talked to the girl at the front desk about tours. She recommended a Great Wall tour that departed early in the AM. There were 3 different 'Great Wall' tours to choose from, each went to a different segment of the wall. One required an hour drive, the other a 2 hour drive, and the last a 4 hour drive. The girl at the front desk recommended the 2 hour drive. Part of me wanted to take it easy the next day, but I figured starting strong was the way to go. Altogether the excursion, including breakfast and admission, was around $30 (USD).   The segment I would hike is called Mutianyu. More on the hike tomorrow. 

IMG 5673
Hutongs by day

Exterior of what was the Saga Youth Hostel


Front Door


Single Room


After cleaning up from the long flight I went to the lobby/bar of the hostel-hotel (whatever it is). I was given a wood coin for a welcome beer, but since it was unique I’d keep it for a souvenir. The bar area really wasn’t much of a bar - just a counter were you could order something with a couple of chairs under the counter. There were plenty of vacant tables though. As I waited, I noticed one of the girls behind the counter (playing bartender) trying to take a selfy with me, the giant, in the background. She spoke English well enough so I asked if she wanted a real picture. She was very happy. 
While I was waiting in line a German college student started chatting with me. It’s worth noting he really was German. He invited me back to the table and we chatted for a bit about US and German domestic issues. I mentioned Berlin was a favorite city of mine and we chatted about the economic divide of the city. Apparently since the fall of the wall, that parts that were formerly communist still stagger in economic growth. They had a lot of questions about Obama, his popularity, and health care reform. We chatted for an hour or so when they resigned to bed. Towards the end of our conversation a Polish guy joined us (far back, left). He was alone, but traveling with his elderly grandfather. He offered up a full bottle of Vodka back at his room that he wanted to finish - but none of us wanted anything other than beer. I had a hard time believing the guy was Polish because his English was perfect and without any form of an accent. Like the Germans, he too was leaving the next day. Shortly after the Germans left the bar did a last call and I made my way back to the room for some sleep. 
IMG 5721
Bar/Lobby/Restaurant
IMG 5671
Friends



No comments:

Post a Comment